Friday, September 29, 2006

TV this week

TV update from this week.

My general feeling is that I am not a huge fan of the "set up" episode. Most shows try to cram way too much in for the sake of exposition, and I wind up feeling like I watched a movie with no resolution. I'd prefer it if they'd take their time to set things up, ease us in. . . but most of us would probably give up before it got good if they did that, so I can see why they don't. I'm just not sure my opinions of these shows will stay the same over the course of the season.

New this week:
Brothers and Sisters: So far, I think this is good. The writing is good, the acting is good. They feel somewhat like a real family, although I'm sure that will get better with time. I excited to see so many of these people back on TV, and I'm not that sad to lose one of them (I don't want to spoil anything that the commercial didn't already)




Heroes: I'm liking this. Ben is annoyed that they are doing X-men without doing X-men. I can see the point there. But I like that they have the same concept without the restriction of having to stick to already written plot lines and character descriptions. Most of the characters were intriguing, and I'm very interested to see how they all come together.





Ugly Betty: Funny. It's a complete rip off of The Devil Wears Prada so far, a fact that surprisingly few people are mentioning in their reviews, which totally stumps me. Apparently it's based on a spanish telenovella, but you could have fooled me. I'm enjoying the characters, though, so I think I'll keep watching and see if it ever decides to enter it's own territory.

Help Me Help You: It's contrived and silly, but I liked it anyway. There are some really great scenes in the therapist office, and some great ones with Ted Danson & his estranged wife, played by Jane Kaczmarek. It's one of the few "sitcoms" out there right now that may just interest me enough to watch it.

Boston Legal: Not a new show, obviously, but I liked it at one point, and I decided to give it a try rather than re-watching Smith. It was a good episode. There are 2 new characters, and they're funny, smarmy, and way too clever. In other words, perfect for the Boston Legal world. I may keep watching.

Second Viewings:
Studio 60: Still brilliant. The opening sequence of the show as a number from Pirates of Penzance was PRICELESS! I can't wait to see what happens next.

Six Degrees: I liked the second one better, for sure. They didn't try to cram in quite as much as last time, and the characters grew a little. I really think I may like this one once it hits it's stride a bit. The story lines I like best so far-- Bridget Moynahan & Cambell Scott. The ones I care about the least, Jay Hernandez & Dorian Missick.

Grey's Anatomy: I really like how they resolved the Derek, Meredith, Finn love triangle. It's the perfect set up to stretch out the joy of the situation for most of the season without making us mad because characters keep changing their minds. Such good acting in last night's episode. & some seriously brilliant moments. I am so thrilled that Sara Ramirez is sticking around for the whole season. I love her!

Still waiting for:
Lost, The Nine

Shows I didn't manage to watch the second episode of, and may or may not get back to: Jericho, Smith, and Kidnapped (although I will probably watch my recording of this last one).

No comments: