Monday, February 02, 2009

Our Weekend

The weekend at the Hess house was filled with adventures of many kinds:

#1- Colds for all 3 of us. Hooray!

#2- a trip to Urgent Care for Nolan after he spiked a 104 degree fever that we couldn't get down on Saturday evening. He's fine. The fever finally broke at about 3:00 that morning and hasn't returned. Apparently it was just a virus that had to run it's course. But it scared us.

#3- Kitchen cleaning!! This was the one thing I wanted to get done with our weekend, and even with all of our general ickiness, we managed to make some progress! I didn't document the inside of the fridge, but WOW did we get that looking shiny as well!

The cupboard where most of our spices and baking stuff lived. . . only a few spices had made it to our magnet board, and this cupboard was overflowing.

The transition doesn't look super dramatic, but nothing falls on your head when you open the cupboard now, and that's saying something. Plus, everything is in its place.

The true transition happened here. . . A mess of epic proportions. . . we have always had storage issues in our kitchen, but lately it's just gotten out of control. . .

NOW, the spices are contained, labeled and alphabetized, and the clutter is GONE!! Let's hope we can keep it this way. It's so much easier on the eyes. . .

#4- We also managed to watch the Super Bowl. . . the one football game we watch all year. . . and let's be honest, mostly for the commercials. . . and the food. But I didn't feel like taking pictures by that point in the weekend, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

What did YOU do?

13 comments:

Jacque said...

Melanie, I love your spice magnet thing! It is awesome. Where did you get it?

Melanie said...

It's a combo of 2 magnet boards from Pottery Barn and some magnetic canisters you can get at Bed, Bath, & Beyond. You used to be able to get a set of them at Target, but I don't think they sell them any more.

We LOVE how much space it saves to keep them on the wall. (And, little secret, those magnet boards are hiding the breaker box which happens to live on our kitchen wall. EW)

rachel lee said...

That is the coolest spice rack! Hope you feel better!

Marianne said...

We went to Matt's funeral. Missed you. It was nice.

Stefanie said...

The pure linear organization of that spice rack makes me want to squeeee! I love it! But, I think I would find myself making fun designs (like hearts or smileys) with the spices too...oh the fun you could have! LOVE IT!

Hel said...

I remember Isabel's first really bad fever. She was shaking and everything. It scared the living daylights out of us. I definitely feel for you and little Nolan.

Hugs from the Petersens.

Megan said...

Glad that Nolan is doing better, and love the reorganization! My kitchen cupboards could use the same treatment.

Anna said...

Are you available for off-site consultations? I have a few cabinets that need some Mel-ganization, please. Hope that all are on the mend from the colds. Ick on sick.

Tea Marie Photography said...

I did notice the buffet thing yesterday and thought to myself it looked amazing. By the time you got home though, I had forgotten

Unknown said...

I knew I was friends with you for a reason... I love the organization documentation. :)

McLeodx5 said...

i want that spice board...and i LOVE the organization weekend!

Kelsey K. Hartley said...

I'm impressed that you were able to find the energy what with all the sickness.

I found this little cupcake shop in Portland that I'm dying to try tomorrow and wanted to share their website and blog in case it inspires you. It's called Cupcake Jones. http://www.cupcakejones.net/gallery/gallery.html
Their blog: http://cupcakejones.wordpress.com/

Emily S. said...

PRETTY!!!!! I have coveted ANYTHING Pottery-Barn organizer related... so this made me drool.

:) nice work!