Thursday, October 21, 2010

Pregnancy Sucks - part 2

I should state for the record that the first post I wrote on this subject was highly preemptive.  I WAS pregnant, but not very far along.  And I had no idea what was coming.  Nothing tragic.  I had a complication free pregnancy until the very end, but when I wrote my first post, I thought the morning sickness was going away. . .

OH NO

It was just beginning.  

With Nolan, I only threw up once before the second trimester.  I then started throwing up about once a day or every other day for the rest of my pregnancy.  
By far, the pukiness of pregnancy is my LEAST favorite part.

This time around, I'm sicker.  I am throwing up pretty regularly, and once again. . .  trimester 2 is just bringing with it MORE sickness. . .  not less.  I just crossed over, mind you, so we'll see what happens.  I'm still praying it subsides. . .  but I'm not holding out a lot of hope.

Things that are true that i didn't know the first time:

1- every woman really DOES experience pregnancy differently.  Just because your mom or your sisters experienced things one way does NOT mean you will experience the same thing.

2- the swelling. . .  OH the swelling (especially in that last month)

3- no matter how much you hate pregnancy, babies are easier on the inside than the outside.  Sleep deprivation is NOTHING until you have to be up all night every night with a newborn.

I know that everything in life is a matter of perspective.  And I know that my attitude is a big part of my distaste for this process.  I spend too much time dwelling on how gross I feel and not marveling in the wonder of growing a child. . .

When it comes right down to it, it's worth it, but pregnancy still sucks.

5 comments:

Hel said...

You know, I kind of had a thought that other day about the whole "marveling at the miracle" thing.

While I was ENDURING my pregnancy I not once thought about what an incredible process it all was. Something growing inside me didn't fill me with wonder and awe, it filled me with a feeling of being invaded by an alien from the inside.

I know other women ARE excited at what's going on inside and I wonder if that has something to do with why some women enjoy pregnancy and some do not. Aside from the other factors (like some puke their guts out the entire 9 months while another may only experience a one slight muscle spasm for her entire pregnancy).

Do I make sense? I have a three year old and I am still suffering from lack of sleep.

I'll pray that your vomiting subsides.

Kelsey K. Hartley said...

oh Mel, I hurt for you! I don't know that there's anything that helps the worst of days. My attitude is my biggest enemy. The only thing that helps me appreciate the sickness is when a friend who's suffered multiple miscarriages says, "You're lucky you're sick." Only then do I fully grasp the moment and realize they're right because most often the sick women do not miscarry. But even then, the attitude is a struggle.

Gonna say a little pray for you!

Bonnie said...

I'd add that the 4rd trimester (the first 3 months of your baby's life) also suck pretty badly too.

Tami said...

Oh the joys of motherhood...you really should try some ginger oil or making ginger tea. I don't know if it would help but it would be worth trying. E-mail me if you want more information. I would be happy to let you borrow my ginger oil or tell you how to make ginger tea. Best of luck!!

p.s. I have the cover to your pie scooper thing...some how I need to get that to you.

Lisa said...

I'm going to venture now and guess that Nolan is going to get a little sister. Just a suspicion . . .

For me, it's not the pregnancy I dread - it's totally sleep deprivation. That first year of unpredictable, inconsistent sleep always makes me swear to Peter that we are done having kids.

And I hate it when someone brags that their 3 month old is sleeping through the night.

Hope you feel better soon. Actually, I hope you feel better this very second!