Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Quilt

I'm more than a little embarrassed that it's taken me this long to take a freaking picture of this quilt. I started it BEFORE Ben and I got married (more than 2 years ago), finally finished the borders and had it quilted about a year ago. . . and then it sat. It was waiting for binding. The sides had been trimmed, the binding pieces had even been cut. . . but it sat. it's a HUGE king sized quilt. I knew the hand work for the binding was going to take me forever. And it did. . . But not as long as I thought it would, really.

It's been on our bed for about a month, and this was the first time our room had been cleaned and the bed was made to take pictures. . . (thank heaven Ben decided the mess in our room was just past the point of decency. I may never have gotten to it on my own)

And here is the finished product:

Closer up

I'm not even 100% in love with it any more, to be honest. The batik thing is probably just over. . . and in reality, I'd like something a little less busy. . . BUT, I am proud of myself for doing a quilt with circles (or partial circles). It was a fun little challenge for me. And it will do for now. I spent enough time and money on it. . .

4 comments:

Stefanie said...

That is SO COOL! I can't believe you MADE IT! Good for you...that is so awesome!

Megan said...

That is beautiful - I haven't been brave enough to try anything with circles yet. I'm so impressed!

Emily S. said...

yeah, pretty dang impressive... seriously! And congrats! It will be an heirloom, so good for you!!

Sarraphim said...

That's beautiful! If you want, you could cut out some bright colored felt fish and let Nolan play with them on top of it (it kinda looks Carribean blue or something...)