Monday, January 28, 2008

Goodbyes


My first reaction when I heard that President Hinkley had passed away last night was "oh no! " but the more I thought about it, the more I was just so peacefully happy for him. He missed his dear wife so much, and now they can be together again. What's sad about that?

He gave so much of his life to the church, serving all of us and providing a wonderful example of a church leader with a wonderful spirit, a great sense of humor, and the strength to show our church to the world in every way he could, without apology. I remember watching him on 60 minutes and Larry King and thinking how awesome it was that he wasn't remotely defensive, just open and willing to discuss his beliefs as the beautiful, hopeful things that they are.

I will miss him, especially during general conference, but I am so thrilled for him that he can move on to a new way of serving, with his wife by his side once again.

No comments: