Thursday, February 08, 2007

Little Children


There are certain movie days when I really miss having Dallas around. Nick had class until 7 last night, making it impossible for him to make it Salt Lake for our Wednesday movie on time, so I decided to go catch Little Children on my own. It was playing at the Tower, which is a tiny little old run down theatre in Salt Lake that plays exclusively arty movies you won't find anywhere else. Dallas and I used to go there all the time, but since he moved away, I haven't been back. It was a little weird to go by myself. It's probably a safe neighborhood, but in the dark, I was wishing I had a guy with me.

Little Children was a good movie. It plays a little like a documentary, with the omniscient narrator explaining things to us as if the people we are watching are too tricky to understand. It's a interesting choice, therefore, that a character in the movie is a maker of documentaries. I didn't hate the narrator, surprisingly. In fact, I liked the choice, once I adjusted to it. The camera angles were equally jarring at first, but as I adjusted to them, I really liked them. The subject matter would have probably gotten under my skin pretty badly a couple of years ago, but for some reason, it didn't. Maybe it was because, in the end, I really liked the message the movie carried. Everyone makes bad choices, but our future is a clean slate.

--------------------------------------

Of the 5 movies I wanted to see before the Oscars, I've now gotten to 3 of them. I may have changed my list a little since the last time. I don't think I can stomach Blood Diamond at the moment. I may have had my fill of the blood and gore for a while. It's just been too much. I would still like to see Letters From Iwo Jima (but it will not be coming to Utah) and possibly Venus and Volver. We'll see if any of those happen.

No comments: