Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Pan's Labyrinth


So, last night Kevin and Vanessa were going to Pan's Labyrinth and invited us to go. It was a late movie, and Ben had an early meeting this morning, so he didn't go, but I decided to. I had heard SUCH great things about it and I needed to see it myself. I don't even know what word to use for besides intense. I felt similarly walking out of the film as I did after Children Of Men. It just overwhelmed me. There are so many horrible graphic moments, and very few moments to take a breath and recover from the graphic ones. So very little of it takes place in the fantasy world, and so much of it in the real world of this little girl. But even the fantasy world is not what I expected. I thought it would be more colorful. More engaging. But even the fantasy world was an intense and rather disturbing place.

That's not to say it's not a good movie. It is. A great movie, possibly. I think as I get more distance from it I'll be more and more impressed with it.

The poster I used is one showing the creepiest of creepy characters, who is only in the movie for a couple of minutes, but he totally haunted my dreams last night. Thanks so very much, Guillermo del Toro. It's a good thing I don't sleep alone these days.

No comments: