Monday, October 15, 2007

Elizabeth, Part 2


I have to admit to having been REALLY excited about this movie. I absolutely LOVE the original movie, and with the same director and same cast (and probably a lot of other "sames") I figured this movie was destined for greatness. I know a lot of other people felt that way too.

When the reviews started rolling in, they weren't good. On Saturday, Rottentomatoes.com gave it a 24%. But regardless, I maintained that I would watch Cate Blanchett and Clive Owen read the phone book, so I was going anyway.

We joined Kevin & Vanessa, Barta, and a few others for a 7:00 showing. I have to admit, it was disappointing compared to the first movie. But after having seen the reviews beforehand, I didn't expect as much, and still enjoyed it. It is beautifully done and the acting is great. The story needed some serious help, and the dialogue had moments of awfulness. It really did feel like the middle movie in a trilogy. I just hope, if they make a 3rd, that it lives up to the first again. It's such a talented group of people!

Also, I'm convinced Cate will win the Oscar for best actress this year, regardless of the quality of the movie as a whole. She was ROBBED in 1999, and I really believe the academy will make it up to her this year. Just a little prediction. . .

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I saw the first Elizabeth in London when it first came out--not even sure if it had been released in the US yet. It was very fitting to see that movie in the middle of studying English history and Shakespeare and seeing where it all happened. Maybe that made the movie even more memorable for me, I don't know, but I remember just being absolutely amazed at how much like the real portraits of Elizabeth I Cate Blanchett looked at the end.

I'm bummed to hear that the movie doesn't measure up to the first. I did read in Entertainment Weekly that the director is quoted as saying that he definitely wants to make a third movie--it won't be the next one he does, but he doesn't want it to take another 10 years either.