Wednesday, October 04, 2006

A afternoon of freedom

First of all, HOW EXCITED am I that Lost starts tonight? REALLY exicted. But that's not what I want to talk about. . .

I want to talk about a weird quirk of mine. I function SO much better in a clean house. It honestly gives me this whole different sense of well being. I was talking to a co-worker about it today, and she said she's the same way. Yesterday our boss took the two of us out to lunch and then sent us home for the day. It was this fabulous break in the middle of the week. I drove home without internally cussing at anyone on the freeway, and I h
ad all afternoon to do whatever I pleased.

Presented with this opportunity, what would you do? Given unlimited resources, I could come up with plenty of things. But, as resources were not feeling unlimited, I decided to go home and take a nap.
But then I walked in the front door. And I remembered all of the things we had done over the weekend and how we hadn't cleaned up after any of these tasks. The house was a mess. There was no way I was going to manage to nap in the middle of the mess. I had to do something.

The first problem to be tackled, shoes. I have an unfortunate habit of dropping my shoes wherever I take them off. They are constantly spread all over my house. Ben does the same thing, although not to such a large extent, as he doesn't wear as many pairs of shoes. I counted the number of pairs in our living room and kitchen as I cleaned up. I carried 10 pair upstairs to our closet. 10! That's pretty ridiculous.

Once the shoes were handled, I started on the rest. 3 hours later, about the time I would normally have been leaving work, the downstairs was clean. Dusted, vacuumed, dishes done, everything put away, counters cloroxed. It felt like a place where a person could actually live. FINALLY.


And what did I do to celebrate? I laid down on the couch and took a nap. A short one, but a comfortable, "everything I can see is in order", kind of nap.
Maybe tonight I'll start on the upstairs.

But who am I kidding?

Lost is on!!

No comments: