Thursday, December 07, 2006

I Made Marshmallows

This all started with the aforementioned trip to Williams Sonoma. The original reason for our visit that night was to procure marshmallows. They were in the catalog and they looked yummy. Ben loves hot cocoa, and he figured it would be all that much better with giant marshmallows. I mean seriously, look at those. Doesn't that look scrumptious floating in hot cocoa? But no one in their right mind can pay what they charge for those things (my apologies if you did. . .)

So I became the internet sleuth I try to be & found a recipe. It wasn't all that tricky, actually. It was messy, but not difficult. As long as you have a candy thermometer, which we do. You have to get the sugar mixture to the right temperature to make sure they set up right.


The recipe said to "pour" the mixture into a pan. . . but seriously, pouring was impossible. It was SO sticky. With Ben's help, most of the goo made it into the pan, but it was a chore. As you can see:


Once in the pan, they had to set up over night, and then I cut them with a pizza wheel.


The finished product looked like this:


Not as pretty as the Williams Sonoma ones, but I bet it cost me $2.50 to make them. & they're tasty.

No comments: