Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Helping Haiti

(Photo via the NY daily news - Laughlin/AP)

SO. . . the situation in Haiti has been making me cry. A lot. I can't listen to a news report, see a photo, watch a story on Nightline without bawling. It's just so awful. Gut wrenchingly awful.

To say I have felt blessed and unprepared to help this past week is an understatement of epic proportions.

My like minded (and awesome) friend Kalli and I decided that we needed to do something. We're lucky. We belong to a church that is AMAZING at humanitarian aid. Regardless of where the need exists, these people are THERE. & they're there FAST. So we called them. We asked what we could do. We wanted to contribute. . .

I was so happy about their answer.

QUILTS!

The people of Haiti are sleeping in the streets. And while it's generally warm there, it's still winter. . . And they need blankets. And so we formed our plan.

We're holding a Quilting Bee!

Monday, January 25th in American Fork, we are joining some members of Kalli's former congregation in their weekly quilting. And since the need is great, we need as many helpers as possible.

We'll be at the American Fork LDS Stake Center @ 240 South Center Street from 10 am-1pm.

It's not the most ideal time of day, obviously, but the ladies that do this every week are going to be SO valuable to us that we need to be there when they are. Come on your lunch break if you need to (that's what I'll be doing)

We need people to cut, iron, sew, tie and bind. We need cutting mats, rulers and rotary cutters, sewing machines, sergers, and batting (that is the only part of the quilts that wasn't already provided by the church) We need people to occasionally chase the children that will be there. We need people to entertain us with their sweet dance moves. (OK, maybe not that, but if you can tell a joke, that's cool too)

And let me just say, I WILL be bringing some delicious cupcakes to entice you all to keep on trucking. (and if you have a flavor preference, speak on up!)


If you can't join us, but you'd still like to help, you can donate funds through our church. 100% of the money you donate goes to those in need. They don't use a penny of it to cover administrative costs. And I'm telling you, they are MASTERS of making the most out of a dollar and helping those that need help.

Questions? let me know.
And let me know if you'll be there so I can be sure to make enough cupcakes.

5 comments:

Cyndie said...

That sounds so cool! I wish I lived close enough to come. Good luck!

Kelsey K. Hartley said...

Wish I could come and be apart.

mel said...

so proud to know you.

Susanna said...

Wow! You are an inspiration. I wish I could be there, but I will send my prayers and try to find my own way to contribute.

Maybe that way these tears will stop flowing.

Hope you're well.

lillysmum said...

Hey Melanie,
Saw a link with your name on the comments on Courtney Kendrick's blog!
I am going to try to come over for your shindig! I should be able to bring some batting as well!
Tara