Friday, November 03, 2006

Old Friends, Bad Drivers, and Procrastination


I went to lunch today with the old guard from Nu Skin. A much smaller than usual lunch group gathered to celebrate Dave Reed's birthday. It never ceases to amaze me how much fun I have sitting and talking with those people still. Normally the gatherings are huge and I seldom sit by and talk with the same group of people twice in a row. But every single time I have this overwhelming sense of belonging that I really really miss. These are the people that I spent 8 hours a day of my life with for 7 years. And I didn't realize just how much they felt like family to me until I got laid off. They are just such good people. And as much as some of them truly annoyed me while I was there, I really love that we're all still friends. I LOVE that. I miss coming to work and feeling like I belong. I love XanGo for a lot of reasons, but that isn't one of them.


On the drive back and forth from lunch, as well as this morning, I again contemplated the stupidity of the people driving I-15 in my general vicinity. There are SO many people on the road at any given time truly not paying one WHIT of attention to what they're doing. At least 3 times in any given commute I end up behind someone in the fast lane talking on a cell phone and going 68 MPH. Seriously? Don't you EVAR look in your review mirror? Can't you see the line of 32 cars behind you that want to break the law? SERIOUSLY?!


Also, I firmly believe that we need to do SOMETHING to make our world more like the Jetsons. I have a theory. . . if we could keep the current roads for use by those HUGE trucks that are EVERYWHERE on the freeways these days, and let the rest of us fly over them, we would all be a lot happier. No more rock chips. No more mortal fear of getting smushed between them if you have to stop fast. It would just make life so much better. Don't you agree?

And lastly, I'd like to relate a story about procrastination. I have always been a bit of a procrastinator. I always crammed for tests in line at the testing center. Waited to turn in college applications until right before the
deadline. It's just the way I am. It's gotten worse lately, though. I'm not sure what happened to me, but I have turned into this huge lump when it comes to doing things I should have done forever ago. & the longer I procrastinate, the worse I feel about it, and the less likely I am to get around to it. This includes everything from paying bills (although to a lesser extent), to organizing our office in our house, to finishing quilts and other projects, to this one horrible thing I've been meaning to do for a YEAR AND A HALF. OK, maybe it's closer to a year and a few months. Either way, today I finally returned the light board to Cornerstone that Mark borrowed for the catstle LAST season. It doesn't work, and I knew they weren't really missing it, but for some reason I came up with all sorts of reasons to put off returning the dumb thing. I have no idea why.

I'm useless, that's why. This is me:
I'm going to have to look into this neurosis. I feel SO much better knowing that it's done. I don't know why I didn't do it a year ago.





No comments: